Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virginia Tech

Yesterday was a surreal day for me... I first heard about the shootings at VT about lunchtime... my wife heard it on the news, called me and asked if that's where my cousin went to school. The next three hours was filled with phone calls and conversations trying to track him down... just to hear his voice and see if he was okay.

I am thankful to report that he is okay... he was not even on campus at the time... but he should have been. He had a 9:00 class on the second floor of the Norris Building. He had been out of town over the weekend and decided to come back Monday morning instead of Sunday night. As a result, he didn't get to campus until after 11:00.

I recounted this story to someone yesterday afternoon who said "God was really looking out for him." I understand the response, but the next question should be: "Why didn't God look out for the other 32 people?" As Russ (www.russbutcher.com) said at CATG on Sunday, God's ways are not ours... his thoughts are impossible for us to grasp. God is beyond us... and yet he interacts with us. God is above us... and yet he loves us. It's a little hard to understand right now... but then, so is the tragedy at Virginia Tech...

"God, get glory somehow in all of this."

No comments: